Healthy cupcakes, who’d of thought it was possible? Well, it can be done! Even personal trainers love a sweet treat, so I thought why not indulge with something a little more nutritious than your average cupcake. According to the calorie king website, a cupcake with icing and sprinkles in between 459 – 497 calories! That’s 23 to 25 percent of the calories consumed based on a daily intake of 2000 calorie diet.
With this recipe, you can now have your cake and eat it! These cupcakes are only 167 calories per cupcake. They also contain only 75grams of brown sugar which contain slightly more minerals than refined white sugar. These cupcakes also have olive oil in them, which is a monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFAs) which are considered a healthy dietary fat. By replacing saturated and transfats which are usually found in processed foods you gain certain health benefits. These include vitamins E, K and also lots of antioxidants.
These cupcakes are a great treat and are perfect for those sweet tooth cravings.
Time: 30 Minutes Servings: 12 Cupcakes Calories: 167 per cupcake
- 200g Self-raising Flour,
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda,
- 75g Brown Sugar,
- 100g Blueberries,
- 1 Zest of a Lemon,
- 2 Large Eggs,
- 150ml Low-fat Yoghurt,
- 2 tbsp Milk of choice (I used soya),
- 50ml Olive Oil,
Lemon Icing (Optional)
- 100g Icing Sugar,
- 4 – 4 ½ tsp Juice of a Lemon,
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with non-stick paper cases.
- Next, sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, blueberries and lemon zest. Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs with a large whisk until smooth, then beat in the yoghurt, milk and oil until well combined. Stir into the flour mixture with a large spoon until very lightly mixed.
- Working quickly, divide the batter between the cases. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen and are golden brown. Transfer them to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- To make the lemon icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and runny. Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over the cupcakes and leave to set for at least 30 minutes before serving. And enjoy!