As the cold days of winter continue, our cravings often turn to comfort foods. Stews are thick and hearty and are the ultimate warming meal. Are you doing Veganuary? This Spicy Bean and Vegetable Stew recipe is full of flavour and will please vegans, veggies and non-veggies alike.
By leaving out the meat, you can enjoy hearty portions of pulses and vegetables while staying within a sensible calorie count. This stew is a mix of healthy carbs, protein, and lots of veggies, a bowl of stew is a well-rounded and balanced meal.
Time: 30 Minutes Servings: 4-5 Calories: 299 (if serving 4)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small Aubergine, diced into 3cm cubes
- 2 medium Onions, halved and finely sliced
- 1 yellow Pepper, deseeded and cut into 3cm
- 1 red Pepper, deseeded and cut into 3cm
- ½ – 1 tsp hot Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika (hot)
- 400g can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 400g can of Cannellini Beans rinsed and drained
- 600ml cold Water
- 1 large Courgette, halved lengthways and cut into 1.5cm slices
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 2tsp cold Water
- ½ a Lime juice
- 4tbs Oatly Creamy Oat Fraiche or low-fat Creme Fraiche
- Fresh Coriander leaves to garnish
- Lime wedges, for squeezing
- Heat the oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan, saucepan or dutch oven. Stir-fry the aubergine over a high heat for 3 minutes until nicely browned. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Scatter the peppers and sweet potato into the pan and stir-fry with the aubergine and onions for another 4 minutes. Add in the spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and beans and stir in the 600ml of water. Season with a good pinch of salt, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the courgette, return to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Mix the cornflour with the 2 teaspoons of water to make a thin paste and stir this into the bean mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is just tender and the sauce thick. Stir regularly, especially towards the end of the cooking time to prevent the sauce sticking. If it does start to stick, add a splash of water.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the lime juice and serve the stew topped with your choice of creme fraiche and scattered with fresh coriander leaves. Add lime wedges for squeezing.
Want to stay up-to-date with our latest healthy recipes?
Simply enter your email address to be in the know!