If you’re tired of eating sugary breakfast cereals first thing in the morning, then this healthy bircher muesli recipe offers a tasty alternative. Bircher muesli is the original overnight oats. It is perfect for those who do not have time in the mornings to make oatmeal but are still looking to eat something healthy and filling. All of the ingredients are combined into a bowl the night before and are left to absorb all of the flavours. In the morning, you have a delicious breakfast to either eat at home or to take with you.
Our healthy bircher muesli recipe releases energy slowly meaning that you won’t get those hunger pains at 10 am, and they’ll keep you full until lunchtime. This recipe is full of flavour and is basically no effort! Soaking oats overnight makes them easier to digest, and the muesli will be extra creamy. A great quick and easy breakfast straight from the fridge.
Bircher muesli was created in the 1900s by a Swiss physician for his patients in the hospital. He discovered the remarkable benefits of raw fruit and veg and the importance of a balanced diet. When we think of muesli as it is today, it usually comes in a cardboard box and has had all of the healthy qualities removed to improve its shelf life. They are often full of added salt and sugar, both are not actually needed. Though some manufacturers do provide a healthier alternative e.g no added sugar, however, these packaged breakfast cereals do not contain fresh fruit.
Hense making this switch, to this quick and easy recipe can do you the world of good, especially combined with a training programme also.
Time: 5 minutes Servings: 1 Calories: 83
- ½ Cup (20g) Whole Grain Rolled Oats,
- 2-3 tbsp (40ml) Unsweetened Apple Juice,
- 2-3 tbsp (40ml) Natural Yoghurt,
- Apple grated,
- Nuts & Seeds: Walnuts, Almonds, Pumpkin, Sunflower, Chia Seeds…
- Coconut Shavings,
- Fresh Berries: Raspberries, Blueberries…
- Combine the oats and apple juice in a large bowl and mix thoroughly, cover in cling film and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, stir the yoghurt and any toppings you wish. Spoon into bowls and top with fruit and the remaining nuts and drizzle with honey.
To see our other deliciously healthy recipes, checkout our blog HERE.