Do you not have time for breakfast? Would you like something quick and easy to eat on the go? These Oat Breakfast Muffins are perfect to grab in the mornings. They are also a big hit with kids too! This recipe uses no flour, no sugar, and no oil but they are still deliciously moist muffins. If you are gluten-free you are can use gluten-free oats instead.
Oats are one of the healthiest grains, they are full of important vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Studies have shown that oats are great for weight loss, will help to lower your blood sugar levels and will reduce your risk of heart disease. This is due the slow-releasing energy oats provide. They have a low glycemic index which means oats are digested and absorbed slowly without spiking your blood sugar levels. This also means that oats are burnt slowly which keeps you fuller for longer.
Time: 20 Minutes Servings: 14 Muffins Calories: 147
- 225g of oats
- 2 tbsp oats for the top
- 2-3 very ripe large bananas (mashed)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 112g honey (5 ⅓ tablespoons)
- 180ml milk of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175-degree Celsius, add half the oats into a blender and blitz until a flour consistency.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas, then add the egg, honey, milk, vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients (including the whole oats and blended oats) to the wet ingredients and mix together. Here to can add additional ingredients such as fruit, raisins or nuts)
- Next, grease a muffin tin or line with papers and divide equally. This mixture should make 14 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with whole oats and place in the oven for 20-23 minutes.
- Check the muffins to see if they are fully cooked, by inserting a toothpick into the center – it should come out clean. Allow to cool and enjoy!
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 7-10 days. You can also freeze the muffins and defrost overnight.