With Easter just around the corner, we thought this recipe is extremely appropriate. However, Easter this year will be a little different. Baking is a great afternoon activity for all ages. Opt for our healthy recipe instead.
Easter is so much more than chocolate, but the sweet treats can be a big part of the celebrations. When leading a healthy lifestyle, Easter definitely adds to temptation! But, do you know how many calories you are really consuming? Starting small, the Malteser Easter bunny contains 156kcalories. Cadbury mini eggs 90g contains 444calories. A Lindt chocolate bunny 200g contains 1080 calories and the Nestle Kickkat easter egg and chocolate 240g contain 1338kcal.
As you can see throughout Easter it is very easy to consume excess calories and a huge amount of sugar. One recipe that is particularly aimed at children is the homemade chocolate nests. They are great, but the sugar and artificial food colouring is not so great for us! Therefore, I wanted to create a delicious recipe which not only tastes good but is refined sugar-free (apart from the 2 eggs!) These healthy easter chocolate nests only contain 8 good for you ingredients and is ready in 15 minutes.
- ½ a cup of natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup of Honey
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ cup of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Oats
- ¼ cup Desiccated Coconut
- Begin by lining a baking tray with wax paper and set aside.
- Place the peanut butter, honey, salt and oil in a saucepan and heat until combined.
- Add the vanilla and cocoa powder, stir until well combined.
- Next, add the oats and mix.
- Add the coconut and mix until completely combined.
- Drop 1 tbsp portion of the mixture at a time onto your prepared baking sheet. Press into the shape of nests using the spoon. Continue until you have used all of the cookie mixture.
- Place into the fridge and let cool until they have hardened. Next, top with your favourite eggs.
- Serve cool or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. We hope you enjoy these healthy easter chocolate nests!
To see more healthy recipes CLICK HERE.