Healthy homemade granola – To all granola lovers… this recipe is by far the best I’ve tasted and contains a lot less sugar than shop bought. It is also a lot healthier as The Trainers granola is made with unrefined oil, whole grain carbohydrates and is naturally sweet.
Sadly, carbs are given a bad name and are also feared by people who are looking to lose a few pounds. However, choosing whole grain carbohydrates offers you slow releasing energy. In return, this will squash your hunger and will keep you fuller for longer. Oats also contain soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps to stabilise the blood sugar levels and lowers cholesterol. Insoluble fiber improves intestinal health which helps keep everything moving!
Pumpkin seeds contain a lot of fiber and protein. They are also a great source of omega 6, which part of the essential fatty acids our body cannot make and therefore have to be consumed in our diet. Sunflower seeds also contain many important nutrients such as vitamin E. This is an antioxidant, it helps to protect cells from the damage of free radicals within the body.
Dried fruit is great at boosting your fiber and nutrient intake. They also supply your body with a good about of antioxidants. However, they do contain a lot of natural sugar and should be consumed sparingly. Each component makes this healthy homemade granola the perfect go-to breakfast.
Time: 26 Minutes Servings: 10 large bowls Calories: 147
- 400g rolled oats (use gluten-free oats for gluten-free granola)
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 125ml olive oil
- 125ml honey
- 70g sunflower seeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g dried cranberries
- 30g shredded coconut
- Add-ins chocolate chips, dried fruit, different nuts & seeds etc.
- Preheat the oven to 175-degree Celsius. In a large bowl, mix the oats, nuts, seeds, and cinnamon together.
- Pour in the oil and honey and mix until all the oats and nuts are lightly coated. Next, tip the granola onto a baking tray and spread evenly. Bake for 21-23 minutes, mixing halfway.
- After removing from the oven, allow to cool completely. Then break the granola into pieces and place back into the bowl to mix in the fruit, coconut or any extras you choose. Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature. It will keep for 1-2 weeks, or you can freeze for up to 3 months.